The Holidays are here again!!!
We thought we would give you a couple of our favorite recipes to try if you’re looking for something new to whip up.
I have been making the same pumpkin pie recipe for the past 15 years for Thanksgiving. It is a definite crowd pleaser, it even calls for a whole pie pumpkin that you cut up and bake in the oven, AND it’s easy! If I can make it, you can make it. Give it a try, you will be happy you did.
- 2 Pie Crusts – home-made, gluten free, frozen, or whatever you please
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pie pumpkin to equal 1 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin, mashed or pureed
- 2 cups scalded whole milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat Oven to 425°F.
- Combine all ingredients, except pie crust, in a large bowl and beat until smooth
- Pour wet ingredients into 2 pie crusts. Bake at 300°F for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the filling is firm.
My mom has mastered a granola that is delicious, full of healthy ingredients and so much lower in sugar than most anything you can find in the store. It feels so good to make your own granola and you can play around with it and add your favorite nuts or seeds. It is the perfect thing to have around if you are entertaining the family or it makes a great hostess gift if you are being entertained! Let us know if you come up with your favorite version.
- 8 cups of oats (gluten free is you prefer)
- 2 cups of sliced almonds
- 1 cup of raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut flakes
- 3 Tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Take the first 6 ingredients and mix together into a bowl. Set to the side for later use.
- Take the last 6 ingredients and mix together in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds
- Pour on top of oats mixture. Stir together and then pour onto a cookie sheet. Spread onto pan evenly.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Check to see if browned, if not stir and let cook for additional time.
Jake’s Caesar Dressing
Who doesn’t love a great Caesar dressing? But oil based, not creamy!! Fresh greens are such a great addition to any meal and so simple. My husband always has a batch of his Caesar dressing in the refrigerator ready and waiting. We can always quickly bring a salad to anyone’s house or include it in a meal at home. I never get sick of it. Let me know what you think!
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (or more to taste)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Blend thoroughly and salt to taste
- Keep it in the fridge, it tastes better with age.
I hope you enjoy! Sarah